Golden Gates and its Issues

I've just finished my course of Contemporary Novel by watching a film called Golden Gate. It's a very old film written by David Henry Huang and published in 1994. Huang is one of my favorite dramatists so far since one of his dramas, M. Butterfly, catches my eyes for its splendid plots in discussing the racial issue between the Occidental and the Oriental. Besides this, I've written my short research paper regarding to this drama. Today, nonetheless, Pro. Lin assists us with watching Golden Gates again for making sure that we understand the plot of its historical background and political factors of immigrant law for Chinese in America. But somehow I think the background of war history and law tend to be more difficult than the plot itself. What I remember is the point that the one has to make choices between the law of justice and how love brings back to justice. And Marilyn's image is sparked by Fa Mu Lan's spirit taken from Kingston's The Woman Warrior, "White Tiger." The revenge of Marilyn, represents Mu Lan's fidelity, leaves Kelvin a terrible Chinese scribble in red color, showing her revenge wrathfully for her father. Kelvin's death is based on the Christian idea of love and being loved when he is trying to atone for his guilt and commits suicide in the end but discloses the image of fallen angel by gracefully jumping down to the sea. After the war, the Chinese immigrants are regarded as the laundryman or working at the Chinese restaurant most of the time, so the Chinese men are called "Laundryman" or equal with its title.
Still, the fiction, China Man, written by Kingston, is apt to be more difficult for us to discuss its issue regarding this, and that's also why Pro. Lin would like to let us know the background by watching this film first. I somehow feel anxious before reading it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on W. S. Merwin's "Tergvinder's Stone"

Ronan Keating, Who Touches My Heart Feeling

A Hidden Element: British Rock 'n' Roll

Why Does My Heart Want to Confuse?

Take a look at learning attitude through Emerson's idea